If you are experiencing a failure of your home or business’s heating system at this time of year, you want it fixed – and you want it fixed yesterday.
So, what do you do if you walk into a home or workspace that is colder than what it is supposed to be?
You have a few choices:
- Do some simple troubleshooting measures.
And, if that does not work, and, assuming you do not want to get deep into furnace repair on your own:
- Call a professional furnace repair service to come fix the problem (more on that later)
First, let’s take a look at some of the simple things you can check that just may solve the problem and save you the time in the process.
Furnace repair troubleshooting:
- Check the thermostat: It may be just that simple. Is your thermostat on “heat”? Is it set for the proper temperature? Modern thermostats often require battery power, and those batteries may have failed. Check to make sure they are fresh and working.
- Check your duct vents. Are they closed? (Yes, that is ridiculously simple, but you’d be surprised at some of the things we’ve encountered on calls.)
- Check your circuit breakers/fuse box. You may have experienced a power surge and they tripped/burned out. Flip them back/replace them and make sure they stay on. If they trip/burn out again you have bigger problems that will require professional help.
- When was the last time you changed the air filter in your HVAC system? We recommend doing so every 60-90 days. A clogged air filter can cause your furnace to overload and switch off.
These very basic troubleshooting tips may save you an unnecessary service call and quickly end your frustrations.
However, if you run through these steps without resolving any issues it is time to take the next step.
If you find yourself in this position, frustrated and knowing that you need a furnace repair service then you need to determine which company to contact.
The best answer is to contact multiple HVAC companies, see what kind of service they offer and note how they treat you when you contact them. Do they offer to come to your house as soon as possible? Do they offer to determine the problem free of charge? Do they treat with you with respect? Do they leave your house or business in the exact same manner in which they found it?
But how to determine which furnace repair companies to contact? After all, there are dozens of HVAC contractor options in north Georgia alone.
The first step is to peruse their website and look for certain keys.
- How long have they been in business? You want technicians with experience, and staying power indicates the company has a solid foundation.
- Are their technicians NATE certified? This indicates that they are held to the highest industry standards.
- Do they stand behind their work with a warranty on all installation and repair jobs?
- Do they offer 24-hour emergency service should something break down on weekends or holidays?
Follow these guidelines, and it will undoubtedly help you sort through the myriad choices of HVAC contractors in north Georgia – and help you to get the right furnace repair service for you and your home or business.